Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Continuing Education
- How many clock hours of continuing education must I complete per renewal period?
A nursing home administrator is required to complete twenty (20) clock hours of continuing education per renewal period. Only accept whole hours and round down to the next lowest whole hour. For example, 2.25 will only count as 2 hours.
- Can I split a continuing education course and apply part of the hours to one year’s renewal and part to another?
No. A continuing education course may not be split and applied to more than one renewal period.
- If I took extra courses during one renewal period, can I use those hours for the next renewal period?
You may go back fifteen (15) months from your renewal date, provided you do not split any courses.
- Can I use another state’s board-approved continuing education for my Ohio license renewal?
You may only use another state’s board-approved continuing education for your Ohio license renewal under the following conditions:
- If you are licensed in Ohio and officially reside in another state and practice in that state, you may use that state’s board-approved continuing education for your Ohio license renewal, provided that you practice in that state. NOTE: The CEU's must still meet Ohio's CEU requirements, ie. six (6) hours of limited, five (5) hours of ss/dl/webinar.
- May I use continuing education clock hours earned from home study/dl/webinar programs for my Ohio license renewal?
Yes, provided that you apply no more than five (5) clock hours earned from such a source towards your annual license renewal. Home study programs/webinar/dl must be approved by NAB.
- The continuing education program I attended was not approved by BENHA. How can I find out if it was approved by NAB?
You may call NAB’s office at (202) 712-9040, or visit their website at www.nabweb.org.
- If the continuing education program I attended was not submitted for BENHA approval by the sponsor, may I submit the course to BENHA for approval myself?
No, the program’s sponsor must apply for continuing education credit, and such application must be made prior to the presentation of the program.
- Can I use college courses to meet the board’s continuing education requirements?
Yes, provided the course a) was taken at an accredited college or university, b) applies in some way to nursing home administration, c) a grade of “C” or better was earned for the course, and the college level course is applicable to a degree field.
- How many continuing education credit hours will I receive for a college course?
The conversion rate is ten (10) continuing education clock hours for every one (1) quarter credit hour and fifteen (15) hours for every one (1) hour of semester credit.
- How do I submit college credit hours to the board, since I was not issued a certificate of completion?
Simply send a copy of your official transcript and a course description/syllabus, indicating the course being used towards your continuing education requirements.
- Do I have to send in my original certificate of completion, or may I send a photocopy?
You may send a photocopy of the certificate of completion when you renew your license.
- How many hours per renewal period may I take from a Limited Provider? From a Certified Provider, excluding home study/dl/webinar? From a Preferred Provider? From NAB-approved courses? From Home Study programs?
You may use only six (6) hours of continuing education credit earned from a “Limited” Provider. There are no restrictions on the number of hours you may earn from a “Certified” or “Preferred” Provider. There are also no restrictions on the number of hours you may earn from NAB-approved courses, excluding home study programs/dl/webinar. Only five (5) hours of home study programs/dl/webinar may be submitted per renewal period. Home study must be approved by NAB.